Thursday, December 19, 2013

How To Survive a Non-Vegan Holiday!


The holidays can be a tricky time of year as they can provide lots of temptations for slipping back into old food habits and nostalgia for traditional foods. Tonight’s post is for those of you who may have just begun your journey in a new lifestyle, whether it is vegan or vegetarian.

I know, from personal experience, how hard it can be to be new at this life style and to be surrounded by familiar temptations. In fact, the first day I fully committed to a vegetarian lifestyle I was attending a college bowl game in the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium. Let me tell you, there isn’t a whole lot of vegetarian friendly tailgate or stadium food.

I’m sharing these tips with you tonight, so that together we cannot just make it through the holidays, but we can thrive this holiday season.

Let’s get started!

1. When you are faced with temptation, remind yourself exactly why you wanted to cut animal products out of your diet and if need be turn it into your personal mantra.

My main reason for adopting a vegetarian lifestyle was for health reasons. I wanted to cut the crap out of my diet, and so I would constantly remind myself of all of the fat, cholesterol, and hormones present in meat and then opt for vegetables.

Later, when I made the switch to vegan it was more for animal rights. So when I was faced with temptation, I would remind my self of the way animals are treated and how milk and eggs are made.

2.  When you are seeing friends and family for the first time after making the switch, it is normal for them to have a ton of questions. If they are anything like my extended my family, they may also have a bunch of criticisms.

You should answer their questions as thoroughly and politely as possible, after all it is human nature to be curious.

If you come across someone who wants to criticize your choices, you should respond to them as nicely as you can. After all, you can catch more flies with honey then vinegar. (:

3. To avoid temptation and to help quell any criticisms, I always like to bring something with me to share. That way, I have something to eat & something to offer other guests who may have questions about what you can eat.

I’d recommend making something that is a traditional food for you and yours. For example, my family always does Christmas cookies and every year I make ices sugar cookies of my own, that way I don’t miss out on anything.

With these tips, I’m confidant that you can be successful this holiday season. The most important thing to remember is to love yourself. If you slip up, it is important to forgive yourself and remember that (not to sound to cheesy) it’s a journey.


Join the conversation on facebook for support this holiday! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment