Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Egg-Free Onion Rings


On Tuesday’s I usually share with you a restaurant that offers vegan or vegetarian options. Since the northern half of east coast is experiencing quite a bit of snow, I figured there where quite a bit of you that either can’t get out or don’t want to leave the comfort and warmth of your own home.

For me, I was just craving onion rings this afternoon and I have yet to figure out a place that offers vegan onion rings. If you know of a place, please let me know, immediately.

Since I can’t get them at a restaurant, because most places batter their onions in eggs, I made my own healthier version.

________________________
Baked Egg-Free Onion Rings!

You will need:
2/3 cup of soymilk
1/3 cup of flour
1 tablespoon spoon of cornstarch
1 tablespoon spoon of distilled vinegar
Non-stick cooking spray
1 large sweet onion
5 or 6 pieces of toast

Directions:
1. Using a food processor, grind the toast into fairly large crumbles. Place this in a shallow bowl and place to the side.

2. In a separate bowl mix half the soy milk, the flour, and cornstarch in another shallow bowl. Mix until this becomes thick and doughy.

3. Mix in the rest of the milk and stir, keeping the mixture thick. Place this to the side as well.

4. Slice the onion into thick rings, using only the outer couple of rings.


6. Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Dip onion rings in batter, cover in bread crumbs, and place on the greased cookie sheet. 

7. Spray the top with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes at 450*. Then flip over and bake for another 8 minutes. 


I served mine with catsup and mustard! Delicious! 

Try them out & let me know what you think! 
Join the conversation on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment