Monday, November 4, 2013

Meatless Monday: Fried Avocado Tacos


It's Monday, which means it's time for another Meatless Monday recipe! (: 

Today's recipe is a little unconventional, but it's delicious none the less. 

_______________
Fried Avocado Tacos.

You will need: 
A frying pan 
A spatula 
A knife
A cutting board
3 small bowls

Ingredients: 
Small flour tortillas
Black Beans
Onions
Avocados
Flour
Water
Shredded Lettuce 
Salsa 

Directions: 
**Before you start prepping your avocado, I recommend that you begin heating a frying pan with about 1/4 inch of olive oil, so that your oil will be hot when you are ready to start cooking**

1. Using the knife, slice open the avocado and slice it length wise into long slices. 


2. Dip your avocado into water, then roll it in your bowl of flour, and once it is thoroughly covered it is read to fry. 


3. Place these slices into your pan, flipping them over after about 5 minutes.
You want the outside to be crispy, but for the best taste you want to keep the inside soft and creamy. 


4. When they are ready, pull them out of the frying pan (I recommend using tongs) and place your avocado slices on some paper towels to help absorb any extra oil. 

**Since I had the pan and the oil already heated up, I chose to go ahead and sauté my onions as well. This is a completely optional step, depending on how you like your onions. 

Now it's time to build you tacos!


I built this scrumptious taco, by layering black beans and onions on the bottom of my soft taco shell. Then I placed several slices of avocado into my taco and covered that with lettuce, salsa, a little salt, and some pepper. 


I served my tacos with margaritas, and they were a big hit! The avocado slices were the perfect touch to my tacos, they had that extra little crunch on the outside but maintained there smooth creamy rich texture on the inside. They complemented the salsa and other vegetables quite nicely. 

If you give this recipe a try, I would love to know what you think!

Enjoy!

Join the conversation on facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment