Monday, February 17, 2014

Meatless Monday: Vegan Eggplant 'Meat'balls!


There have been very few times in my life, since becoming a vegan, when I feel like I’m missing out on something or like I can’t have something that I use to enjoy.

So many companies are making mock products and of course there are a ton of recipes on the web for just about anything.

That being said, I have recently been craving meatballs. I’m not sure where this craving comes from, but I’ve been trying to find vegan meatballs at the store with no success.

Most of the meat-free prepackaged meatballs contain eggs, milk, or both. The few that I have seen that were vegan, they were gross and not to my liking.

I searched the internet for a recipe that was vegan and struggled to find a quality vegan meatball recipe, so I’ve played around in the kitchen and come up with this delicious recipe that I want to share with you. :) 

______________________
Vegan Eggplant 'Meat'balls 


You will need: 
1 large eggplant
2 T olive oil
Salt and peper
1 T cornstarch
2 T flour
1 t oregano 
1/2 t onion salt
1/2 t garlic powder
A pinch of parsley 
3 or 4 pieces of toasted bread

Directions: 
1. Cut the top of the eggplant and then cut it half. Place on a cookie sheet, drizzle it with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. 



2. Bake at 450* for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  

3. Slice the cooked eggplant into small pieces and put it into a food processor. Blend until creamy. 

4. Blend in the  cornstarch, flour, oregano, onion salt, garlic powder, and parsley. 


5. Place this mixture in a bowl and use a clean food processor to crumb the bread. 

6. Still in the bread crumbs. Adding enough to make the mixture thick enough to roll into balls. 




7. Roll into balls and place on a oiled cookie sheet. 



8. Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes or until cooked though out! 


Taa-daa! Delicious vegan friendly meatballs! 
The combination of eggplant and spices is fantastic. Not to mention how much healthier they are then their meat-y fried alternative! 

Give them a try and let me know what you think! 
Join the conversation on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment